Making Great Presentations
Great presentations mean less, not more. Make 'em simple and easy to read, and DON'T TREAT YOUR PRESENTATION AS YOUR SCRIPT. Great presentations aren't made to be read.
- MAKING GREAT PRESENTATIONS Ian Lurie @portentint [email protected]
- This + links at http://portent.co/wsaslides
- THEIR DAD
- I WORK ON THE INTERNET
- I WORK ON THE INTERNET IM A NERD
- I WRITE A LOT SOLD 12 COPIES (10 TO MY MOM)
- IVE DONE PRESENTATIONS
- LETS TALK ABOUT PRESENTATIONS
- LESSON 1: KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE
- THE GREAT TREE-TYING CONTROVERSY OF 2008
- WHAT DID I JUST DO?
- I TOLD A STORY
- THATS WHAT PRESENTATIONS DO
- HOW THIS WILL GO PLANNING CREATING QUESTIONS?
- PRESENTATION SLIDES
- PRESENTATION = YOUR INFO
- THE GOAL PRETTY PHHBBT Apologies to My Little Pony
- THE GOAL = MEMORY
- PEOPLE REMEMBER STORIES PEOPLE REMEMBER SMALL BITES
- WRITE SLIDES REHEARSE TALK
- STEP 1 WRITE
- WHY = VALUE ON ANYTHING
- REALLY really?!!!! you can even take notes on pinkie pie you can even take notes on pinkie pie you can even take notes on pinkie pie you can even take notes on pinkie pie you can even take notes on pinkie pie
- WHY HOW WHAT
- TELL ME WHY I SHOULD CARE (STORIES WORK REALLY WELL)
- THIS IS A LARGE, SEMI-AQUATIC RODENT WITH THICK FUR. yawn
- IF YOU LIKE DOG-SIZED RODENTS THAT ALWAYS LOOK COOL, THEN CAPYBARAS ARE FOR YOU. @!#*& yeah.
- IM GOING TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE WEIRDEST RODENT YOUVE EVER SEEN. @!#*& yeah.
- THE HOW SAY WHAT YOULL SAY SAY WHAT YOURE SAYING SAY WHAT YOU SAID
- HERES HOW THIS WILL GO
- WHAT = THE FACTS
- PUPPIES WHY: THEYRE CUTE HOW THE GOOD THE BAD THE REALLY BAD WHAT 1. TALK ABOUT MY PUPPY 2. THEYRE DUMB 3. BUT THEYRE CUDDLY 4. BUT THEY EAT CAT POO
- MAKING THE SLIDES
- TAKE WHAT YOU WROTE
- GET YOUR FACTS
- GET YOUR IMAGES
- NOW DO THE SLIDES
- CLEAR > FANCY
- CLEAN > MESSY
- NOT CLEAR. MESSY.
- NOT CLEAR. MESSY. LOOKS AWFUL
- NOT CLEAR. MESSY. TOO MUCH TO PROCESS
- NOT CLEAR. MESSY. Hey, check this out. If you can read all of this, I salute you. This is some painful stuff. This is a presentation that was designed to be read, not heard. While that may be OK if youre writing a report, its not ok when youre creating a presentation. When folks see a slide like this, their brains scream, flip over and run away at top speed. Why? Because our brains respond best when they get to absorb spoken words, emphasized by images or other stuff. Theyre NOT designed to absorb tons of written text on a screen while someone reads that text to them. It causes a total tune-out.
- NOT CLEAR. MESSY. And no, adding a random image or two doesnt help, either. This is still really hard to read and it just goes on and on until you cant read any more and your eyes are starting to water and youre sick of looking at pictures and all you want to do is move on to the next class am I right?
- SLIDES A REPORT
- CLEAR. NOT MESSY. BLEEP
- BLEEP LOOKS COOL CLEAR. NOT MESSY.
- NOT BROKEN DETAILED BLEEP CLEAR. NOT MESSY.
- EASY TO REMEMBER BLEEP CLEAR. NOT MESSY.
- EASY TO REMEMBER CLEAR. NOT MESSY.
- NO BULLETS
- EVERY TIME YOU USE BULLETS http://upload.wikimedia.org/ wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/ 4_Kittens.jpg/ 800px-4_Kittens.jpg
- EVERY TIME YOU USE BULLETS http://upload.wikimedia.org/ wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/ 4_Kittens.jpg/ 800px-4_Kittens.jpg meep? BULLETS KILL KITTENS 2011 Dave Estment
- EVERY TIME YOU USE BULLETS http://upload.wikimedia.org/ wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/ 4_Kittens.jpg/ 800px-4_Kittens.jpg meep? ANIMATION KILLS KITTENS 2011 Dave Estment
- TIP #5 NO BULLETS (except for lists) noooo From University of Wisconsin-Madison https://academictech.doit.wisc.edu/tags/tags/powerpoint?page=3
- 1 FACT OR IDEA PER SLIDE (SMALL BITES)
- 32+ PT
- COLORS FOR EMPHASIS
- FOR SUPER EMPHASIS VARY TYPE SIZES.
- HIGH CONTRAST NOT LOW CONTRAST
- VARY SIZES AND SPACING FOR A NICE SQUARE LOOK
- VARY SIZES AND SPACING FOR A NICE SQUARE LOOK 1: RIGHT-CLICK 2:
- NO WIGGLING
- NO SQUIRMING (ITS DISTRACTING)
- CUT AND PASTE AND IT WONT MOVE
- CUT AND PASTE AND IT WONT MOVE it didnt move right?
- PICTURES? SURE.
- JUST MAKE THEM MAKE SENSE.
- JUST MAKE THEM MAKE SENSE. k thx bai
- THEY SHOULD REINFORCE WHAT YOURE SAYING
- DONT LOOK AT THE SLIDES (MUCH)
- CHECK HOW LONG IT TAKES
- THOSE PRESENTATION ANIMALS?
- image search, then
- free to use or share
- wuv you
- PLAN CREATE PRACTICE
- TAKE A BOW IAN [email protected] This + links at http://portent.co/wsaslides